Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ten Things I Know Right Now

1. Spring Break when by all TOO quickly. It feels like the break was just getting started and now I have to teach again tomorrow, goodness.
2. I greatly enjoyed visiting my host family for a few days this break back in Popitsa. They prove that you don't need to speak the same language to show that you care.
3. It's definitely spring. The apple trees are in blossom, a saw a few butterflies the other day, and baby animals are all over the village (see photos below).
4. Today marks 11 months since I left Minnesota. Wow, time has flown by.
5. The B27s are an all around great group of volunteers. Seeing more of them this past weekend in their training sites proved it. Again, welcome to the PC family and I wish you the best of luck!
6. I have a wonderful neighbor here in Sliven who is willing to watch my cats whenever so I can go out of town and not worry about them.
7. If you didn't already look at the photos below, I now have an affection for cows and the life of a small farm.
8. I have a new found appreciation for the train workers after my trip back to Sliven. One of the ticket takers not only gave me all the exact times for my three trains I took today but made sure I got onto the second train alright once he found out I wasn't Bulgarian, all of this without any asking on my behalf. I mean I've used trains enough that I'm pretty comfortable with traveling here but he was extremely thoughtful and courteous. Plus, he smiled while he worked.
9. I love my family and friends back home and can't wait to see some of you this July when I visit! Skype and email just aren't the same as being with people in person.
10. I'm happy to be a currently serving Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria!

Photos from visiting my host family:
















Peace, love, literacy, and reckless curiosity.

3 comments:

  1. I love all the animals - even the sheep butts :)
    You are ahead of us in spring and it is wonderful to see the green grass - I can't wait for it to really be showing here! Your pictures are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I had a great time. I figure Kathy will enjoy the sheep butts as well when she sees them. It is nice having an extra few weeks of spring, i'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I'll skype w/ you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I love farm animals!

    I have a random question... I'm a RPCV and I've accepted a peace corps response position in Sliven to work at a boarding school for truants. I hear there is a PCV in Sliven who has worked at that school and I'm trying to find their contact information so I can learn bait more about the school and gather potential resources while still in the states. If you know that PCV and could forward them my email or send me theirs it would be super helpful and much appreciated. My email is mackenzietpetersen@yahoo.com. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete