Sunday, December 12, 2010

Seven Months

I've now been in Bulgaria, away from Minnesota, for seven months. It's crazy to think about. I've never been away from my family, friends, and the actual state of Minnesota for this long. I definitely miss things everyday though I also appreciate the ability to be living here in Bulgaria. Thanks to the Peace Corps I have been able to:

- meet some amazing people
- become friends with wonderful people
- live with a Bulgarian family during training (who I will visit for Christmas)
- attempt to learn a new language, though I must say Bulgarian is hard
- teach English in a 1-12 Bulgarian school
- live in a block style apartment building
- try to understand the Bulgarian education system
- learn more about what I think is important within education systems
- learn more about myself
- learn about traditions and cultures here in Bulgaria
- communicate with classrooms and people back home about my experiences
- know that I can live away from the USA and still enjoy my life (thank goodness for skype when I've had a bad day)
- eat foods I never thought I would have
-and so much more

There are only 2 weeks left of school before Christmas and I'm excited. I will be visiting my host family for Christmas and then spending time with other volunteers for New Years. I'll be glad to have a break and finally spend some time with my Bulgarian family. I haven't seen them since the end of July and I'm looking forward to having a traditional Bulgarian Christmas and be somewhere there is snow. Though it's finally cold here in Sliven, we have tons of wind and no snow. It snowed Saturday but it didn't stick and the wind just blew it around.

If I don't post again beforehand, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Great picture! Where is this at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're a rock star for signing up for all of these "firsts"! We are wondering if you can access the iTunes store on the internet in Bulgaria?? Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo was at a random building in Sliven and Rebecca, yes I can access the iTunes. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete