Friday, September 10, 2010

Four Months

It's September 10th which means 4 months ago today I left Minnesota. It's quite strange to think that I've been away from family, friends, MN lifestyles, and familiar places for so long. As long as I'm writing about time it is also less than 2 years until I will be back in MN (provided I don't extend my time here in Bulgaria). My COS (Close of Service) date will be near the end of July 2012. But that is way to far away to think about right now so I'll stick to what I've been up to in the last week.

Monday was Unification Day here in Bulgaria which means no work. Therefore I had school each day at 8:00 from Tuesday to Friday. It's teacher planning time right now and there are a lot of meetings and cleaning going on in my school. I was done each day around noon. Next week Monday and Tuesday are planning days and then Wednesday is the first day of school! I'm excited to get into a schedule and see students on a regular basis.

This week the COD and YD volunteers were in Sliven for a conference from Tuesday to Friday (the other programs for volunteers here in Bulgaria, I am a TEFL). It was nice to go over to their hotel in the evening and hang out. The hotel they were at was very nice and is located next to the football (soccer) stadium in town. There is also an entire sports complex there of a tracks, tennis courts, and football fields.

Other than that I've been hanging out at my place with Popitsa:


and finding some great websites online for my television entertainment at night. Not much else to comment on this week as my schedule was the same most days. However, I did find a place in town that I really like and took quite a few photos yesterday.

Here's some of Sliven in photos:

The buttons for the floors in my elevator.

Here's my Block (Apartment Building) from the back. 

The line of metal garages near my Block.
Beauty along my walk
The Football (soccer) stadium with Karandila Mountain in the background.
Hello to everyone reading this! Behind my shadow is essentially a large circle of concrete dug into the ground that is full of graffiti and garbage. Some of the art is very well down while other things were definite symbols of hate.
I love my TOMS!
Some of the graffiti.
I thought this one was extremely well done.
Found the letter C! I guess this blog is sponsored by PBS.
The sun about to set behind the mountains.
Sun Setting
I love the snails here.

Myself
I'm always wondering who's reading these posts. 
I welcome comments and questions, please feel free to leave me a note below. Until next time, love from Bulgaria!

7 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog!!! I hope I get to meet you when you come back to Minnesota! Thanks for sharing your life in Bulgaria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm sure we'll meet sometime. At least if Megan lets me. I hope your summer was well and fall begins beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want those snails to be my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That graffiti is amazing! And the snails are beautiful! Great reading your blog as always!! Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista-

    I love the snails here! You should definitely come and see them for yourself!

    Rebecca-

    Thanks for the note. You'll have to come see the graffiti for yourself. I'll try to take more photos as there is quite a bit around town, I just need to make a few days of taking photos and have my camera with me more often. Hope the first week of school went well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate,
    Good luck with the start of the school year. It can be somewhat hectic at the start as things aren't set in stone. Also, I'm glad your school got you a new bed. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the good wishes. it definitely is crazy. Still no schedule. I actually bought the new bed myself but I got a good deal. I'm happy to have it. Like seeing your old apartment?

    ReplyDelete