Monday, September 12, 2011

:-)

Where to start? Well, last Friday seems like a good place to start. I was in Sofia for a few reasons. First of all, I met with some of the fabulous Peace Corps Bulgaria Program staff to talk about a project I am hoping to have funded in the near future. I wanted some guidance as well as a critique of what I had finished thus far. Writing grants, making project budgets, and submitting proposals are not something I do very often; therefore, the meeting was well worth it. It was great to get some feedback and know I am on the right track. I hope to have everything submitted within the next two weeks so stay tuned at a later date to hear more about it. It is a project that will eventually be posted on the Peace Corps website and I will be looking for funding (in any amount). My second event of the day was a dental appointment. I went to Dr. Milen Dimitrov where I got x-rays and had my teeth cleaned. No cavities, hooray! Then I met up with some of the other Peace Corps volunteers at the amazing Hostel Mostel (where I was staying for the weekend) and just relaxed for a bit. After a bit I was hungry so I ended up walking to Taqueria which is a delicious burrito restaurant. After a delicious late lunch, early dinner I visited with other Peace Corps Volunteers as well as some of the other travelers staying at the hostel. That night I spent my time visiting with fellow PCVs over a few drinks nearby the hostel and didn't stay up too late.

Saturday morning I attended a meeting to learn more about GLBT/LGBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender) issues in Bulgaria. Just as there are not equal rights for heterosexual and homosexual Americans, these communities also do not have the same rights here in Bulgaria. While the USA may have a longer history with the movement for equality involving the GLBT community, Bulgaria also has a history and it was great to learn more about it. I feel this is one of the most important civil rights issues of our time and I was happy to show my support. If you would like more information on the recent history involving the Obama Administration and the LGBT community please click HERE.

After the meeting I had a delicious lunch at Sun/Moon which is a vegetarian restaurant in Sofia. Then some of us went on a walk before stopping at a delicious danish bakery where I had a custard and raspberry pastry. After seeing some graffiti artists and skateboarders I headed back to my room at the hostel where some other PCVs were just hanging out relaxing and did the same (I also had a delicious cappuccino on the way). After laying down and chatting for a bit I got ready and five of us all went out for Moroccan food at a fabulous restaurant. I had some falafel and a green salad with avocado and tomato. We all also shared a mint hookah which was quite delicious. Afterwards we met up with some Bulgarian friends and then I headed over near the hostel to be with some other volunteers. It wasn't too late a night as I've had a cold and was pretty exhausted after a long day. I was just so happy to have a day filled with great friends, good food, and beautiful weather.



Sunday was a relaxing morning followed by lunch at a Chinese restaurant and then a train ride back to Sliven.

Today was a productive day of school and I'm happy to say that I'm looking forward to the new school year. There are so many projects that are already in the works. I'm glad I'm working with such great teachers and have a supportive school to really make the best of my 2nd year here in Bulgaria. This afternoon I'll be working from my apartment along with doing laundry and some much needed cleaning before working on the Peace Corps Reports I need to finish by Thursday. Oh how I love days like this, seriously :)

Lastly, I want to thank all my followers for bringing me to over 9,000 views! The top 10 countries you all are located in include the United States, Bulgaria, Russia, Germany, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Canada, South Korea, Iran, and Chile (in order from highest to lowest). Thank you all for reading, I greatly appreciate your continued support :)

Peace, Love, Literacy, and Reckless Curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment