Thursday, September 1, 2011

September 1st

Today marked the first day of work of the new school year, for teachers that is. What a difference this one was compared to last year. Last year I was anxious, full of thoughts of who I would be working with, how things would go, what school would actually be like, etc. However this year is was more a feeling of excitement for my 2nd year here in Bulgaria and the comfort of knowing a lot of the "hows". Everyone at my school now knows me and I know everyone else (there faces that is as I do forget names occasionally). My school is a comfortable place for me to be and life in Sliven has become my new normal. It's strange to think I have less than a year left here.

Back to today, the morning began with meeting my counterpart at her room and then heading down to the teacher's room shortly after 8 am to greet one another, chat a bit, and wait for the first meeting of the school year. The director ended up starting the meeting around 9am and talked about the upcoming school year including vacation days, class (homeroom) teachers, students who changed schools, and many other things. After the meeting my counterpart and I worked on some classroom materials and then it was time to leave. I also discovered the mail I've been wondering about has been stuck in the Director's office so I got all of that today. Thanks Rowan for the letter!

This afternoon I ended up meeting Neysa, another volunteer, to have coffee and tag along to her hair appointment. We had a nice afternoon, despite the heat of today of about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Now I'm ready to sit down and relax a bit and then work on a few projects before I head to bed. Since I won't be posting tomorrow...

Happy 24th Birthday Neysa!

Peace, Love, Literacy, and Reckless Curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment