Friday, September 16, 2011

Flexibility

I don't believe I've quite emphasized enough how important it is to be flexible both as a Peace Corps Volunteer and just someone living in Bulgaria. Every day seems to bring something new where I just have to go with the flow and know things will work out one way or another. I've gotten pretty good at improv, in the classroom that is. I say all of this because today was yet another example. Today was the 1st day for actual teaching at school and I was meant to have all 4 sections of third grade (team teaching that is). However, I was informed about a 1/2 an hour before my 1st class that they were really busy with beginning of school year things, getting books, etc. and it'd be better if we didn't have English today. Therefore I had 2 hours free, good thing I have learned to plan for this and had quite a bit to print out and had brought along a book to read. My schedule remained the same for my 3rd and 4th classes of the day however they were flipped. That is, the one I was supposed to have 3rd was 4th and the one I was meant to have 4th was 3rd in line. I tell you, flexibility. I find it some what funny I'm blogging about this as I watched "Be a Volunteer" about Peace Corps and flexibility was one of the main things mentioned. No matter how much I plan or prepare, something always comes up. I've decided that it's just part of the fun, that's life. If any of you are interested in watching a great short movie (which features some Bulgaria volunteers) here's the link:


As for the 2 classes I did end up having today, they went very well. I can already tell one of them is a much more extroverted, energetic group but it'll just make the year that much more interesting. I love the 3rd graders, they are all so sweet. I took photos of each one today and it was funny because one of the classes said I was taking mug shots (they were holding name tags in the photos). After the classes I dropped in on 2 of the parents meetings very quickly to say hello. They were very kind and one woman even spoke to me in English! Hooray for the new school year. Now to planning my after/before school schedule (all the 3rd grade classes are 2nd shift (13:00 - 17:30).

Peace, Love, Literacy, and Reckless Curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment