Monday, November 14, 2011

Oh, what a day

Today I substituted for the woman who teaches English to the 2nd graders all morning. It was interesting to say the least. Most of the classes went well. We reviewed some of the vocabulary, letters, and numbers they have learned thus far. Then we played bingo with the letters A-O and numbers 1-5 on 2 x 4 grids. They had to get all 8 to get a bingo. It was a good time and the kids enjoyed it.

After school I met with about 1/2 the kids from 3"B" for spelling/speaking practice. We had a fun day filled with 24 vocabulary words, 2 conjugated verbs, and fun activities involving motions. Lots of smiles = a great class.

After spelling practice I headed to a local orphanage with one of the 12th grade students from my school. We met with the doctor who works there and were able to ask her some questions about it, the student was my translator when I didn't understand or wanted to ask something I wasn't quite sure how to. The orphanage is a small orphanage and is for children 0-3 years of age. They didn't actually want any future volunteer assistance due to having about 2 staff per one child there. I feel like that's a great problem to have and the visit went over well for the most part.

After that I did some grocery shopping, came back to my place, ate, and watched some TV.

Then I headed out to meet another volunteer during the early evening. We hung out at the bus station with a Bulgarian friend waiting for the other volunteer's friend to arrive here in Sliven. After her friend arrived we all went to a restaurant where we met up with another person and had a nice dinner together. Us four ladies and one man. Oh, did I mention, one of the people had a puppy! Great addition to the night. Plus, to top it all off he paid for our dinner. What a great ending to a great day.

Now it's time for bed as I'm exhausted. Until next time :)

Peace, Love, Literacy, and Reckless Curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment