Friday, December 16, 2011

T.G.I.F.

I'm so happy it's Friday and I have the weekend to spend relaxing and getting ready for Christmas. It's been a bit of a crazy week for random reasons. First of all I found out that some of the 3rd grade parents think me pulling them out of English class is actually weakening their English rather than strengthening it. Let me explain, this year I work will all the four sections of 3rd grade team teaching with three different teachers. A few times a week I've been pulling kids into a resource room to work 2 on 1 and strengthen their English. We are not out of the room the entire lesson and we work on material they "should know" by this point. It's essentially an easy way for me to check their abilities not only with how much vocabulary or grammar they know but their pronunciation and listening abilities. Since some of the parents are not happy I have stopped for the time being and after we start again in January I will be asking parents to "sign their child up" if they want them to work with me. They only end up getting to be outside the classroom about one time a month as there are 20-25 students in each classroom. At this point I have gotten through all the students except one class. Each time I write a few sentences about what we did, where their strengths were, and what was most difficult. For the next round I will be actually checking skills off a list I have created so their teachers and parents know what they are capable of. Other than that the kids and teachers are obviously ready for winter break, there haven't been any no school days in over a month and it's showing. People are more restless and the kids have more energy.

Secondly one of the teachers I work with was ill this week and I had no idea she would not be coming until I walked into that section of 3rd grade and the teacher said we weren't going to have English the rest of the week due to the other teachers illness. Oh well I guess as I couldn't really do much about it. In the other sections we learned a winter song this week (thanks mom for creating it). For all of you who may be looking for something this song is to the tune of "I'm a little teapot" and the lyrics are:

I'm a little snowman,
short and fat.
Here are my buttons.
Here is my hat. 
In the summertime, 
I cannot stay.
I, just simply melt away. 

And to show you how it's done. Here are the students from 3Б and 3B. 



Today's after school English group went very well. We worked on some Christmas Cards and then played games. Below you'll find photos and a few videos of the day. We did the Hokey Pokey, played "Cat and Mouse", and danced some Horo. 






A few more details on "Cat and Mouse' since it was a fun group game. One person is the mouse and one person is the cat. The rest of the people form a group surrounding the mouse and the cat goes outside the circle. The group members must hold hands as the object of the game is for the cat to tag the mouse by getting into the circle. The mouse can come and go as it pleases and the group members attempt to keep the cat outside the circle by moving their arms. However, the group members could form a bridge to let the cat in or the mouse out so everyone must be on the alert. It was very fun and a game almost any age could play. 

Tonight I'm watching TV and knitting. Thanks again for the AMAZING package this week Mom and Dad! Tomorrow it's off to my counterpart's village to help kill the Christmas pig! 

Also, a BIG Happy Birthday to my Grandpa Bob as he is celebrating his 80th birthday with family and friends this weekend. Also, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all the Martens who will be getting together to celebrate :)

And if any of you are looking for something great to finish of your week. Here you are:


Peace, Love, Literacy, and Reckless Curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment