Friday, January 14, 2011

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

I can't believe today was January 14th and the weather was nice enough to walk around in a long sleeved shirt. I was sweating on my walk back from school in my jacket. When I left my apartment to take out the trash I just wore a hooded shirt and felt great. The babas and diados (grandmas and grandpas) were even sitting outside enjoying the day. I'm loving this wintertime weather. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Minnesota winter with tons of snow but with us having no snow, I'll take the 10 C (50 F) days. 

After school today I headed to Kaufland with the purpose of buying cat litter and cat food. I got the cat supplies and of course left with more for myself. Kaufland here is a lot like Super Walmart though ours in Sliven has a larger food than home goods section. It's the cheapest place in the city to buy pet supplies so I tend to go there about once a month to stock up because I of course have to take a taxi home as I have too many things to make it back to my place (it's about a 35 minute walk). 

Once I got home I made a delicious lunch of mushroom and mozzarella sandwiches. They were delicious. First I cooked some onions and mushrooms in garlic. Then I put a few rings of fresh onions on a bun, put the mushrooms on top of that, lutenitsa (a tradtional Bulgarian specialty of canned peppers and onions) on top of the mushrooms like a marina sauce, then a thick slice of mozzarella, and I put them open faced into the oven to get them nice and toasty. I ended up eating three sandwiches. They were small and SO delicious. I even took photos:





After I finished lunch I took up Rowan and Braden's (my cousin's children) suggestion and watched Despicable Me (while knitting). I can definitely see why kids would like the film. I enjoyed the movie and loved the 3 little girls. Such a cute storybook ending, literally.

That's about all for today. Just thought I'd comment on the lovely weather we're having here in Bulgaria. I'll try to post something related to education here this weekend as a lot of things came up this week but for now enjoy the photos of Tumnina and Popitsa!









Peace, love, literacy, and reckless curiosity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment