Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"I'm rooting for you"

First of all, I want to say a huge THANK YOU to mom and dad for the Christmas packages. I received them the day before I left for Christmas with my host family which was great since their gift was in the package. I gave my host family a photo book of our time together during training which they enjoyed. It was a must see for all the neighbors who visited while I was in town. But it's been a while since I posted, so to get you up to present day, here it is:

The last week of school before Christmas break included quite a bit. Monday there was the Christmas program for the elementary students and Tuesday there was one for the 5-12 graders (essentially practices for the real thing Wednesday night).





Then on Tuesday night was the big Christmas teachers' banquet. Thirty-two of us were there of about 65 and we had a delicious meal at a restaurant near the school of drinks, food, dancing, and dessert. I was a bit nervous about it but it was actually really great. I had a wonderful time and one of the teachers even brought a homemade liquor (made of cherries) that was very delicious. We did some traditional Bulgarian dancing and just popular music as well.






Then on Wednesday night came the big Christmas program for parents and to raise money for the school. I took tons of photos as usual and lots of video. I got to sit in the front row and had a great time watching the students sing, dance, and speak. The first two photos are of the 12th grade boys getting dressed, it is definitely a process but looks like fun.









And a few videos:










Thursday came with one of the men from my school coming to fix my front door and then I stopped at the post office to pick up my Christmas package! When I eventually got to school I was greeted by treats in the teachers' lounge and a celebration for one of the PE teacher's birthday. I then finally got upstairs to attend 6A's Christmas party and to say hello to the 5th and 11th graders. At 6A's party we played Christmas Bingo (the English of the day), talked, and had a lot of snacks. It was a day of shortened classes and lots of fun. I also got a ride home by one of the PE teachers which was nice as I had so much stuff to carry.






Thursday afternoon I came home in time to skype with my mom and cousin's kids (nice to see you Rowan and Braden). Then I packed for my trip back to my host family's house for Christmas. I hadn't seen them since our swearing in ceremony in the end of July. Hard to believe it had already been so long. Friday morning (the 24th) I got up to get on a late morning train heading toward northwestern Bulgaria. After my train arrived in Pleven, I took a bus to Byala Slatina where Yordan (member of my host family) picked me up at the bus station to head to the village. It was a long but beautiful trip taking the train through the mountains. I can't wait to go hiking there when the weather is nicer.




Christmas Eve was nice w/ Kristin (another volunteer) and I spending time with my host family. My host baba was in Sophia celebrating with her son and his family so I didn't see her until Christmas Day. Christmas Eve in Bulgaria is all vegetarian and there are always an odd number of dishes on the table. There is also a special type of bread made (photo below) with a coin hidden in one of the parts. The person who gets the coin is said to have good luck and money to last throughout the year. Kristin got the coin! It was a nice meal and I had a good time just hanging out. And of course, it wasn't a night without Mitko doing an experiment for us.









Christmas Day came with Kristin and I going to visit her host baba on the other side of the village. We walked over in the fog with puddles everywhere, good thing I brought my boots. After her Baba's house, we then went and visited with one of the other volunteer's host families. It was a nice day and was nice to put my Bulgarian to the test as I don't speak it a whole lot at my site.





After a day of visiting it was finally time to come back home and see my baba. Oh how I love Veneta. She is one fabulous Bulgarian grandma! We had a nice meal together that night and it was just nice to finally see each other. She gave me the sweater I'm wearing in the photo below and I brought along the beautiful quilt my cousin's daughter made for me to show my baba.



After a great Saturday night, Sunday morning came with me sleeping in and having Mekitsa (Bulgarian version of a doughnut that you dip in sugar or honey) for breakfast. Oh how I miss Veneta's cooking. I then went on a little farm visit to see all the animals in the winter. I had to visit my favorite cow and the new pigs as we ate the two from the summertime for Christmas.






Sunday was very chill which was nice and then on Monday, it snowed! It was beautiful and I shoveled all the walks. It was a nice feeling to help with some sort of outside chore as I haven't since the summer when I actually had an outside to be in. And Veneta made bread on top of the wood stove that heats her house, delicious!







Then on Tuesday Kristin, Mary, and I held a Christmas celebration at the Chitalishte (community center) in town with the help of the town's librarian. It was fun to see some of the kids from our time in Popitsa over the summer. We played bingo, made ourselves into reindeer, colored, danced, watched a little performance by the local kids, and had a snow fight!











Then it was time for me to say my goodbyes to my host family once again and head back to Sliven. It was a great trip and I was happy to see my Bulgarian family.

When I got back my cats were definitely happy to see me though my neighbors did a great job taking care of them while I was away. I was in Sliven until New Years Even when I traveled to Shumen to celebrate the New Year with some other volunteers. We had a good time celebrating. Plus, I was able to bring the homemade white wine that a neighbor from my host village had given me for Christmas which was delicious!






Then it was back to Sliven after an all-too-short break. I so wanted a few more days but after all it was back to school. This week has been fairly uneventful this far so not much to report on the school side of things. Though I will share this one video of what Popitsa is able to do (so much for keeping the cats in one room, if it only had a lock):



Finally, today I was was feeling extremely homesick after talking to my mom as I miss people back home so much sometimes. It all just comes in a big rush sometimes and I just need a pick me up. Things can get extremely frustrating sometimes. Yet I was talking to a friend online who made it all worth it with:

"good luck with everything - feel free to chat or email if you need to vent more - I really don't mind...I'm rooting for you."

You know who you are and I couldn't appreciate my friends more. Some people just get it and I so need those people in my life. Words are powerful and the little things truly count. I love you!

Peace, love, literacy, and reckless curiosity.

I love comments so feel free to post below, I don't think I can make this post much longer but we can sure try.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kate.
    I received (and accepted) an invitation to serve in Bulgaria beginning in March 2011 (education). Since then I've scanned as many blogs as I can, mostly to do some light reading on current PCV's perceptions/experiences/travels/etc. I think your blog offers an extraordinarily unique insight to the opportunities that the PC offers and you describe the experience well. (In other words, I love your blog!)
    I hope to meet you and all current PCVs at some point in the future.
    For what it's worth, I am rooting for you, too.
    Wishing you the best,

    Chris L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris-

    Thank you so much for the nice comments on my blog. I'm glad you have enjoyed reading it. Tons of volunteers here have blogs and it's fun to read each others sometimes as we go through so many of the same and yet drastically different circumstances (if that makes any sense). You will definitely meet some of us during your orientation and some during PST and more throughout your service. I'm looking forward to your group of B27s arriving at the end of March! Enjoy your time at home right now and don't worry too much about anything other than packing. You'll miss your friends, family, and most types of ethnic foods while you're here! Thanks again for the comment. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your new blog and am glad you got to spend some quality time with people you love and people who love you. You are a strong women and we are proud of you. Time will go by fast and we will be there for you so make sure you call us anytime. We are looking forward to when we can travel there to. KEEP THE FAITH. LOVE DAD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas and New Year, Katelyn!! Enjoyed your recount and photos as usual, and I cannot BELIEVE that your kitty figured out how to open the door! That is just crazy and hilarious! And probably frustrating for you! Also, all your outfits are adorable! You are one stylish Bulgarian! Miss you and talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thank you Keegan for the lovely comments! Can't wait to chat w/ you again, enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete