Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Who knew?

Definitely not me. Today I went to the Post office to pick up not one but TWO packages! Thank you so much to my wonderful aunt and uncle and a great friend in Minnesota! They are greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

It turns out if a package is in the post office for more than a week they charge me a higher tax to pick it up. It's not like it was an outrageous amount but it was more than double the usual tax. I ended up paying 4 leva (regular) for one package and 9.70 for the other. Now I know that I must pick up things in a very timely matter which is slightly unfortunate as Wednesday is the only day I don't teaching in the morning and can make it to the 9:00 - 10:00 office hours for international packages here in Sliven.

But on to more important things. I read today about the death of Sargent Shriver who was the first Peace Corps Director back in 1961 when the Peace Corps started. He remained the Director until 1966. There is a tribute at the link below with photos and a nice history.


A Tribute from from the Peace Corps


Today I simply wanted to say how thankful I am to Sargent Shriver for his great assistance in the creation of the Peace Corps. I am honored to be a part of the Peace Corps legacy here in Bulgaria. It is strange to think that if these great minds had not existed I may have never been able to live here in Bulgaria meeting new people, teaching English, and attempting to promote "world peace and friendship". Thank you Sargent Shriver, you will be missed. 


1 comment:

  1. A beautiful tribute to a man who really made a positive difference in our United States.
    Thanks!
    LYL Mom

    ReplyDelete