Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oh what a beautiful day

I had to post a blog since today was really wonderful for a variety of reasons. I had 1st hour which meant I had to be up by 6:00 but all was good when I got to school and had a coffee. The fifth grade class I had for two hours today, who are normally extremely loud, were actually listening and participating well today so that was great. Secondly, my 6th grade class all worked so quickly and correctly with review that we got to play games at the end of class. It was one of the few times we got through the lesson with time to spare so we played Telephone and Hang man. Hang man is great for students here as they have to practice saying the letters. Bulgarian letters are all phonetic so it is difficult for a lot of kids to pronounce the letter without just saying the sound (if that makes sense). I sat in on my 6th grade class's Class Hour which consisted of their class teacher announcing semester grades and talking about discipline at school. Then there was also time to spare so we did some stretching and yoga poses which was extremely entertaining. I took photos, some are below. After school I had Bulgarian tutoring which was nice because I learned about some more holidays. Learning the language is hard for me and honestly, I don't speak as much Bulgarian as a I do English during the day since I'm always teaching English. Therefore, I enjoy learning about cultural aspects quite a bit.

After I got back to my apartment I made some delicious mushroom and mozzarella sandwiches and watched a little online TV. Then I was able to skype with my mom as well as a 4th grade class back in MN. It was great to talk with them about what I'm doing here in Bulgaria and answer their questions. Also, it happened to be "opposite day" at their school which was only fitting when I told them Bulgarians nod for no and shake their head for yes. Finally, what topped the day off was getting a great email from a future Bulgaria PCV.

Tonight I am working on a poster about the Zodiac signs which will include the old and the new dates as well as their Earth, Wind, Water, Sky alignment. It's not only for my classroom but for my teacher English class tomorrow.

Oh yeah, she's doing the splits.

6th graders

More 6th graders

And more 6th graders

Elementary students making a snowman when it was snowing yesterday.



Oh how I love great days in Bulgaria.

Peace, Love, Literacy, and Reckless Curiosity.

1 comment: