Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kukeri

Even though I just posted yesterday, I have more today. This morning around 9:00 am I went to the village of Topochane, near Sliven to watch Kukeri. You may be wondering what Kukeri as as it was definitely a new experience for me. Kukeri is a festival that is only celebrated in Southern Bulgaria and has it's roots in multiple places. Kukeri was celebrated near my city today because today was also the beginning of Lent. Both are combined as they each bring blessings to the people. Instead of me trying to rephrase information that is already available you can access some great information about Kukeri from the links here:


The festival today was essentially about 10 different Kukeri groups performing. The performance consisted of skits, speeches, and dancing. It was extremely interesting as it's not quite like anything I've ever been to. Feel free to email me or comment with your thoughts on the photos.

Also, if you didn't think I took enough photos already you will think I do now. Unfortunately my video camera ran out of batteries so there are only a few short video clips that I have added below. And, instead of adding Kukeri photos to this post I have put them in an album you can access on the "links" area of my blog or below. The photos are from the entire day and therefore the beginning and the end are of mainly my counterpart's family.




Not only did I get to watch Kukeri but I got to see their village house and meet my counterpart's husband's parents and grandparents. I also got to eat lots of delicious Bulgarian food including cabbage with pork, pickles, pickled peppers, pickled cauliflower, hamburger patties, hard-boiled eggs, baklava, wine, and a new Bulgarian sweet I hadn't had yet that I now forget the name of, however, it is pictured below and I preferred the white variety. I was happy to be back in a village as I loved being in one during my training here in Bulgaria and I think I would have a much greater want/need to learn Bulgarian in that type of an environment.



Peace, love, literacy, and reckless curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment