Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday School

Today we had school to make up for a day we had off earlier in the month. Here in Bulgaria whichever day the national holiday falls on is the day we get off. For example, there was a holiday on Thursday so we had no school Thursday and then it was decided there would not be school Friday as well (which wasn't a holiday) so we made it up today. I know that we used to do this in the USA however we now lump holidays to a Monday or Friday usually as days off of school.

Anyways, instead of having a regular school day, my school decided to have 25 minute classes (with 10 minute breaks) and then have a swimming and track competition after classes were finished. I missed the swimming competition however watched the entirety of the track competition. The track competition began with the 3rd grade parallels (classes) competing against one another. The same thing happened with 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grades. Then there was a race between 8th, 10th, 11th, and 12th as there are not as many students in these grades. Each competition was a relay race in which the students had to run half the length of the track. It also switched off girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, boy with an equal amount of students participating from each grade. All of my photos from the day can be found here:



And, the following are videos of today's events. 

The 5V girls cheering ("samo peti v" means only 5V):

The 7th grade competing:

The 8th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders competing:

It was a pretty good day. After school I did a bit of grocery shopping and now I'm back at my place ready to eat and relax. I'll most likely be knitting, watching TV online, sending a few emails, and occasionally taking my turn on Lexulous (facebook app of scrabble). I'm so happy I now have someone to place Scrabble with, I've missed it, thanks Jill!

Oh, and I'm adding another video to go with my last post about the game speed spelling. We played it in my 5A and 5V classes today with the entire class and it went very well.


Peace, Love, Literacy, and Reckless Curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment