Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday Afternoon

It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon and I'm about to sit down to knit and watch Wasteland but I thought I should put up a blog first. A large group of boys are outside of my building playing football (soccer) in the school yard while I'm writing this. Some of my students are now starting to read these and I promised them I would have something new up on Saturday so here it is.

I just a late breakfast/early lunch of peanut butter toast (thanks mom and dad for the PB), strawberries, and kiwis. It was quite delicious and now I have some coffee ready to enjoy the Documentary. Lately I've just been so tired when I get home from school that I don't feel like doing anything so I have a to-do list for this weekend. Things I need to get done for Monday are:

- Correct the 5th graders' tests
- Finish making my powerpoint of photos for our schools concert/celebration this month
- Plan out my lesson with the 1st graders
- Clean and organize my apartment
- Laundry

This week was an all-around good week as from my previous blogs I saw Kukeri and it was Women's Day but since then a few things have also happened. On Wednesday I met with an 11th grader and two 10th graders to speak English at a cafe. It was a good time as we ended up spending about 2 hours there. We talked about all kinds of things and I learned quite a bit about topics I never would have guessed we would have talked about. Best of all we got to telling some jokes so I thought I'd share one of the PG jokes for all of you at home:

A vampire bat is looking for his dinner when he sees another bat with some blood around his mouth. He asks the bat, "where did you find your dinner". The bat says, "in the next village over". So the original bat continues to fly on to the next village in search of food. When the bat gets to the second village he sees another bat with even more blood on his face and he once again asks, "where did you find your dinner". The bat says, "oh there was a herd of cows in the next village over that were delicious." So the original bat continues on in search of something good to eat when he runs into a 3rd bat whose face is covered in blood. The bat says, "okay, I've been looking all over for food, where did you find so much blood?" The 3rd bat says, "you see that street lamp over there? Yeah, I didn't".

Other than that I had Spelling Bee practice on Thursday with some of my students. This year is the first annual Bulgarian National English Spelling Bee or BNES. Some great B25 volunteers here in Bulgaria have been organizing things and now that the competition is supported by several organizations it will hopefully stick for years to come. Our local competition here in Sliven is in a week and a half so hopefully the students are studying their words. Two of the main reasons to start this competition are to give 9-14 year olds a chance to compete in an English competition and to provide the opportunity for students to spell out English words with the correct letter pronunciation (many students will just say the sound instead of the letter name when spelling a word as the Bulgarian language uses a phonetic alphabet and they are not used to having names for letters).

Thursday also brought my decision that there was no way for me to keep my secret of visiting Minnesota this July any longer. I called my friend, Miss Elyn DeCook, to let her know that I will in fact be attending her wedding and that I can't wait to see her along with my other friends and my family back home in the good old US of A. I can't wait!

Other than that today is the holiday of St. Theodore's Day (Todorov Den). This means a few things. For one it is the name day of Todor, Todorka, Teodor, Teodora, and Dora. And it is also the celebration of all things related to the horse (and a day of rest). Look for more information via these links:

 St. Theodore's Day
Todorov Den

Finally, I'll leave you with a few photos from my walk to the center from school on Friday.






Peace, love, literacy, and reckless curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment