Monday, August 15, 2011

Feels Good to Be Productive

I'm sitting here drinking a delicious iced mocha. Yes, you read this correctly. I finally figured out the perfect combination for a yummy summer drink. Coffee + chocolate soy milk + ice = iced mocha. That's definitely one of the benefits of living in a big city here in Bulgaria.

I wanted to post a new entry because I've had a productive and enjoyable day thus far. I had classes this morning with some of my students and we focused on the topic of food. They had a warm-up of writing down any English word for each letter of the English alphabet. Then they all wrote as many words as they could related to the subject of food. After that I made 4 columns on the board and we organized all of their words into "Fruits and Vegetables", "Drinks", "Meats", and "Other". Then we had a break and afterward the students told me which foods were healthy and which were unhealthy from the lists to further organize them. Then they wrote sentences using "I like" or "I dislike" and finally I hit a bit of grammar by throwing in and vs. but. Finally all the students were able to make tables and draw different foods based on their own preferences.


After class I headed down to the teachers room where a few people were having chocolates, soda, and coffee in celebration of the name day of Maria and also the Assumption of Mary. After that a local policeman stopped by my school just to chat with me to make sure I wasn't having any problems and things were going well for me here in Sliven. I then got a ride to the center of town with him and went to the police station to check if my new ID card was ready, it wasn't but that's okay because it isn't supposed to be ready until next week. Then I headed to the market where I bought some beautiful nectarines, eggplants, and tomatoes.



Afterward I headed to Billa (grocery store) to get a few more things and finally was back at my apartment. After I dropped off my groceries I headed to the post office in my neighborhood where I mailed three letters and also bought some stamps to use with students back in the United States. I came back here and starting making lunch only to be surprised by my lovely neighbor with a huge tomato, two cucumbers, and fresh goat cheese from her village. It was very sweet of her and I used some of it to make this delicious lunch:


Now I'm working on some things for my classes tomorrow. Tomorrow's theme is going to be animals. To see more photos from my summer classes go to "Summer Classes 2011" under the Links section of my blog.

Have a wonderful day!

Peace, Love, Literacy, and Reckless Curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment